Sunday, November 3, 2013

DIY Jewelry Organization!



Hello, my name is Lauren and I am a statement necklace addict. I am fully aware of this addiction, but for some reason I just can't seem to find the self control to stop buying the cute things!
Last week I went through a big jewelry purge and I really narrowed it down to pieces that I honestly have worn a lot. One good thing I must say about this addiction that I have is that I truly do wear jewelry a lot so it all goes to good use.
So, ever since we have lived in our house I have struggled with storing and organizing my necklaces. I have tried a few different things, but nothing has worked. My favorite was a wooden plank with different drawer pulls on them which was super cute, but with only 6 of them on there it was a disaster. I would have about 5 or 6 necklaces on one knob, and every time that I went to take one off they would all fall off and fall to the ground in a huge tangled mess. It added daily stress to my morning routine. Mornings are hard enough as it is, so I knew I needed to come up with a new plan.
So, that is when my dad and I made this awesome shelf that he simply made by cutting some 2x4 s and nailing them together with his nail gun. I have some pictures to walk you through it, but it is pretty simple and the key is to tailor it to your specific needs. I needed a lot of hooks (28 total), but you may not need so many. Just do what works best for you!


Materials Needed:
  • 2x4 piece long enough to cut two pieces equal in length
  • electric saw and nail gun
  • paint color of your choice and paint brush
  • drill and drill bits
  • 2 heavy duty screws
  • screws with hooks on the end to hang your necklaces

Step 1: Recruit your awesome dad who has all of the tools needed, or do it all yourself which is awesome and makes me jealous!


Step 2: Make sure to know the measurements for the space where your shelf will go. I put mine between our two closets in our bedroom and I wanted mine to be 16 inches in length. Cut your 2x4's to the proper length making sure that they are equal and line up correctly. Then, using a nail gun attach the two boards together to make a 90 degree angle.
 
 
Step 3: ( I don't have a good picture of this because we didn't figure out we should have done this before painting until it was too late.) Using your drill, you will need to drill holes in your shelf for your hooks to go. Use a drill bit that is one size smaller than your screws with your hooks on them to ensure that you will get a tight fit. I needed a lot of hooks so we drilled holes under the top piece of wood as well as on the underneath part of the bottom piece. This is when you need to decide how many hooks you want; make sure that you leave about an inch between each hook so they aren't spaced too close together. Then, you will need to drill two holes on your board to screw it to the wall once you are done. Use heavy-duty screws so you don't have to worry about the weight of your necklaces.
 
Step 4: I wish I would have done this step AFTER drilling all of my holes, but I didn't and it really saves so much time! Paint your shelf the color of your choice. I had a very light gray color that is actually a sample size that I got on clearance at Home Depot for 50 cents! It will take at least two coats of paint maybe more if you are doing a darker color. Make sure to let the coats dry completely between.

 
Step 5: This is another "AHHH that would have made SO much more sense" moment that didn't occur to me until after I had screwed this shelf in place. Before you attach your shelf to the wall I HIGHLY recommend screwing each of your hooks into place in the holes you pre-drilled back in step 3. After you have put all of your hooks in place THEN attach your shelf to the wall using heavy duty screws.

Step 6: Start making it your own! This is the really fun part! The styling step! I was not a fan of the two holes that to me were very easily visible on the front of my shelf where I had attached it to the wall. I knew that once I hung my necklaces up it wouldn't be as noticeable, but I still wanted to find a way to cover it up. So, I found these scrapbooking brads that I already had and I hot glued them over the holes and screws. 
 
Then, have fun hanging all of your necklaces in their new, tangle-free home!!!!!!!!


 
 
I added a white milkglass cup and a small little bowl that I got at Anthropolgie for $2.95 I put my bracelets inside and I like to hang my favorite earrings on the cups so that I see them and it just makes me so happy. 



You might recognize my earring holder from another DIY post HERE  I decided to paint the frame I used the same color as my shelf and I am so glad that I did. It makes it all come together. 
 

 
 Hope you guys enjoy! And maybe you will want to make your own jewelry organization piece! Thanks for reading!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Follow Me!